Swanville is a small town located in central Minnesota, about an hour and a half from the Twin Cities. The population of Swanville is around 900 people, mostly from farming families. The geography of Swanville is mostly flat with rolling hills and grassy fields. The climate in Swanville is typical for the Midwest, with cold winters and hot summers. See harvardshoes for main cities in Minnesota.
The history of Swanville dates back to the late 1800s when settlers arrived looking for fertile land to farm. Since then, it has remained a small agricultural town, although more recently its population has increased with an influx of families seeking the rural lifestyle.
In terms of politics, Swanville is predominantly Republican-leaning, though there are a few Democrats in town as well. There are no major political issues affecting the town; most residents are content with how things are run locally.
Economically, Swanville relies heavily on agriculture and tourism as its main sources of income. Local farmers grow corn, soybeans, wheat, hay, and other crops that are sold throughout the area. Tourism also plays an important role in the local economy; visitors come to enjoy fishing on nearby lakes or taking part in outdoor activities such as hunting or hiking in parks like Great River Road State Park or Glacial Lakes State Park.
Swanville has three schools: two elementary schools and one high school that serves students from several surrounding townships as well as those from within the city limits itself. All three schools have excellent academic programs and extracurricular activities available for students to participate in throughout their time there.
Some landmarks that can be found near Swanville include National Eagle Center which offers educational programming about eagles; Glacial Lakes State Park which offers camping and hiking trails; Great River Road State Park which features scenic views along miles of biking trails; and Lake Maria State Park which offers swimming beaches and picnic areas perfect for family gatherings or day trips out into nature’s beauty.
Population: 351. Estimated population in July 2020: 344 (-2.0% change)
Males: 166 (47.3%), Females: 185 (52.7%)
Zip code: 56382
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $31,250
Median house value: $61,700
Races in Swanville:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.4%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
Ancestries: German (42.7%), Norwegian (16.0%), Polish (14.0%), Swedish (11.1%), Dutch (3.4%), English (2.8%).
Elevation: 1183 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Swanville, Minnesota is a small rural town located in the central part of the state. It has a population of just over 1,000 people and is known for its scenic beauty and friendly atmosphere. The town is surrounded by farmland and has a few small businesses, including a grocery store, post office, and bank. The median household income in Swanville is $45,000 per year and the cost of living is relatively low compared to other parts of Minnesota. The average rent for an apartment in Swanville is $600 per month with utilities included. Property taxes are also relatively low compared to other parts of the state. Most homes in Swanville are single-family dwellings with two or three bedrooms. There are also several mobile home parks located within the city limits as well as some larger luxury homes on acreage outside of town. Swanville is served by two school districts: Independent School District #826 and Central Minnesota School District #881. Both districts offer high-quality education to students from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
For population 25 years and over in Swanville
- High school or higher: 71.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.0%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Swanville city
- Never married: 20.9%
- Now married: 57.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 16.1%
- Divorced: 5.6%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +26 (+8.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Swanville:
- LONG PRAIRIE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL C & NC (about 16 miles; LONG PRAIRIE, MN)
- ST GABRIELS HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; LITTLE FALLS, MN)
- ALBANY AREA HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; ALBANY, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Swanville:
- BRAINERD LAKES RGNL (about 48 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Abbreviation: BRD)
- ST CLOUD REGIONAL (about 49 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Abbreviation: STC)
- BEMIDJI-BELTRAMI COUNTY (about 111 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Abbreviation: BJI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Swanville:
- TODD FIELD (about 16 miles; LONG PRAIRIE, MN; Abbreviation: 14Y)
- LITTLE FALLS/MORRISON COUNTY-LINDBERGH FLD (about 22 miles; LITTLE FALLS, MN; Abbreviation: LXL)
- CLARISSA MUNI (about 23 miles; CLARISSA, MN; Abbreviation: 8Y5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Swanville:
- SAINT CLOUD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 40 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,183)
- SAINT CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 12,913)
- CENTRAL LAKES COLLEGE-BRAINERD (about 45 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,364)
- RIDGEWATER COLLEGE (about 62 miles; WILLMAR, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,711)
- HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 104 miles; BROOKLYN PARK, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,138)
- NORTH HENNEPIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 104 miles; BROOKLYN PARK, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,097)
- ANOKA-RAMSEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 105 miles; COON RAPIDS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,627)
Public high schools in Swanville:
- SWANVILLE SEC. (Students: 158; Location: 602 DEGRAF ST.; Grades: 07 – 12)
- MOLLY CREEK ALC (Students: 32; Location: 602 DEGRAF ST.; Grades: 08 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Swanville:
- SWANVILLE EL. (Students: 173; Location: 602 DEGRAF ST.; Grades: PK – 06)